Important Information on the CoronaVirus COVID19
Elwood Sailing Club is following the advice provided by health authorities for individuals and establishments like our own: our priority is the health of members and staff. As the advice from authorities is updated our actions will change and we ask that members similarly remain aware of, and follow public health recommendations.
Changes to Racing
The Club is not continuing with formal racing for the rest of this season, however will put on social race events when there are sufficient volunteers and participants to do so with safety. This action responds to the concerns of some members about needing to attend for race duties, particularly people who are in a higher risk category, and will allow a more flexible approach as this situation unfolds by putting on social/fun races according to the situation at the time. At this time, it is uncertain whether Presentation Night will happen.
Members who are presently rostered on for race duties will be asked whether they wish to continue to go on rescue boats during the social races, however there will be no loss of storage points for non-attendance, and attendance will be completely voluntary. This will be done on a week-to-week basis and will be completely flexible as there may be sailors but no volunteers.
We are continuing with social racing when possible as we consider it is important to offer this healthy, outdoor sporting activity for our members.
Member and Staff Actions
We ask that all members, their guests and staff act carefully and responsibly and follow up-to-date public guidelines to reduce the likelihood of transference of the virus:
- The best way to prevent the spread of Covid 19 is to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. We also ask that all members, their guests and staff wash their hands in soap and water upon arrival at the club.
- Avoid close personal contact, including shaking hands, and sharing food and drink.
- Do not attend the Club if you have flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, breathing difficulties including breathlessness, sore throat, fatigue or tiredness).
- Do not attend the club if:
- you feel unwell and are considering testing for the virus
- you have been in the presence of any person that has or may have coronavirus or has displayed flu-like symptoms
- you are required to self-isolate.
- you are in close contact with someone who is required to self-isolate.
- If a staff member tests positive to the virus it is likely that the clubhouse will need to be closed for a period of time. Members will be advised by email if that occurs.
- If a club member tests positive to the virus and may have been at the club while infectious we ask that they notify us immediately and give us permission to advise other members of the facts so that they can take appropriate action. The club will take advice from health authorities at that time and depending on the circumstances it may be necessary for the clubhouse to close for some period.
Club Changes and Actions
The club will be making changes in a number of areas:
- Food will NOT be provided on social race days. Members will need to bring their own lunches.
- Additional cleaning of tables, handrails and the like will be instituted.
- The bar will continue to operate for the time being on social race days. Purchases are to be paid for by card-tapping only.
- We suggest that groups in the first floor lounge and bar area limit their size, and attend the bar only for ordering drinks.
- During the week the access to the Manager’s office area will be locked, and members will not be able to access the upstairs area. The bathrooms upstairs will remain locked on race days and available only to staff. This action is required to ensure the safety of the club manager. The ground floor boat storage and bathrooms will remain open as normal for all the on-water activities conducted at the club.
In the meantime we stress that the club remains “open for business” and that a sail in the open air, with sensible precautions, is a safe and enjoyable way to get much needed exercise and enjoyment.